Search Chasing Jessie

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

A coffee a day makes a registered dietitian?

At the end of the day on July 19th, I was officially unemployed.  My dietetic internship was complete, I was a few weeks away from eligibility to take the Registered Dietitian exam (paperwork, etc), and I had a lot of studying to do BEFORE I would be prepared.  Alas once again I was a student with no job and at that moment, no credentials.  In the words of Scooby doo, “Ruh roh.”
After a few days of non-sense and reclaiming my house after 4 weeks of disorganization madness during Staff Relief and Graduation week, I embarked upon the daunting task of studying.  The RD exam costs a few hundred dollars to take it and I only intended to take it ONCE.  Each Dietetic Internship program (in my case, the Memphis VAMC) is ranked by multiple components, including the first-time pass rate of its graduates.  The Memphis Director let it be known that thus far she had a 100% success rate (against a national average of ~82%) and that she Would. Not. Accept. Anything. Less.  Fear tactic.  It totally worked.  That, and I am very thrifty.
For the first few days, my study habits were in constant flux.  I studied at home at night, I studied at coffee shops in the morning, I studied at the public library in the afternoon.  No two days were the same; my habits were less than admirable despite lofty ambitions.  Early on, I resolved to intensely read and take notes from my ENTIRE medical nutrition therapy book, a textbook used in graduate school for two classes over the course of a year.  In fact approximately 50% of the RD exam is composed of clinical dietetics, however there is MUCH more to study (i.e. the other 50%).  In truth, I was neglecting the real fact that the Memphis VA internship focused heavily on clinical dietetics and thus I was the most prepared for this section already.  After a few days, I developed a study plan and recognized some trends:
  1. I was not a very good studier at home for this material.  There was always something else to do, cook, rearrange, clean, or plant that would interrupt me every 15 minutes.
  2. I was a moderate student at the library, but the forbidden food and drink rule was a strong deterrent to 4-5 hour visits.
  3. I was surprisingly a good studier at coffee shops.  Usually the hustle, bustle, and restrained sounds of a coffee shop were just enough distraction to keep me undistracted.

Painted back shed at Otherlands Coffee
Accordingly, I googled Memphis coffee shops  and made a list that included a) the name of EVERY coffee shop in Memphis, b) the address, and c) an area for checkmarks to record number of visits.  I literally drank coffee at Every.  Single.  Coffee.  Shop.  In.  Memphis.  No fancy drinks to dry up my wallet, but just a reliable drip with soymilk.  Less than $2 each day plus lunch/snacks in my backpack fit into my unemployment budget.  Gradually I developed favorite coffee house but was adamant to check off all the places on my list at least once.  Thanks to this inconsequential resolve, I found new favorites, met many interesting people, and tasted many, many delicious coffees!  I visited 16 different coffee shops, 4 of which were Starbucks, and 10 others which were independent establishments.  Expectedly my favorites fell into the latter category of unique, inimitable establishments.  Favorites:  Bluff City Coffee & Otherlands Coffee, two places that served up delicious coffee (available in real mugs or paper take-away), reliable WiFi and quiet, distracted atmospheres.  It was like home.
Occasionally my coffee shop time involved too much internet footling, but would always eventually morph into productivity.  I forced minimum productivity hours per day, 5-6 days per week, studied textbooks, practice exams and oral-auditory study guides.  At night, I read non-textbook nutrition books for an hour or so (really only because I think they are fun!).  Once I fell asleep, I usually dreamt of nutrition topics or study questions, and oh-too-frequently woke myself up in the middle of the night talking in my sleep.
Side Note: This dream embodiment is not particularly uncommon for me…  When I worked on a dairy farm in New Zealand in 2010 (Dairy farm post 3 of 4, See “day 8”), I frequently dreamt of cows, usually picturing them roaming the house and continued to do so for weeks after I left the farm!  Last year in South Africa, I dreamt of baboons for months and months after I left C.A.R.E. (Life as a C.A.R.E. volunteer post), and once a few months after moving to Memphis, I combined dreams of baboons and enteral tubefeeding.  My worlds collided head on!
Finally, the day came to take the RD exam: Thursday, September 5, 2013.  I had prepared adequately and to my satisfaction and felt ready!  (Or so I thought...)  In keeping with tradition, I visited a close by Starbucks to do a final review pre-exam, and then drove over to the testing center.  During the exam I was confronted with some easy-answer reassuring questions, as well as with questions that were beyond my study domains.  Some of the questions came seemingly out of nowhere and rocked my confidence mid-exam; it was unnerving to eliminate two potential answers but have two remaining with no frank idea.  Predictably these came in the non-clinical domain, such as, “According to the process-improvement management theory …” or “The Joint Commission requires that employee competence be re-evaluated every XX years …”  My gradually rising heart rate predicted calamity, but thankfully at the end I was wrong!
“Congratulations!You passed the Registered Dietitian’s exam!”
Tears slowly crept into my eyes.  Relief was not there yet, just high levels of anxiety abating.  I sat in my car in the parking lot for literally 45 minutes before I was calm and relaxed again.  I talked to my mom twice.  I sent a few return texts.  I let calmness reclaim my mind.  I DID IT!

Two days later, I unexpectedly received a letter in the mail from the Memphis Academy of Nutrition & Dietetics.  Even more great news to the week: I WON A $500 SCHOLARSHIP!  “Life has a funny way of working out just when you start to believe it never will.”
 

2 comments:

  1. I love reading your posts. And I'm not being biased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice blog
    great information
    Cosmetology Diploma
    ,Advance Diploma in Cosmetology,Grand Master in Cosmetology
    Decontamination and Infection Control, Different Massage Manipulation, Nail Theory.

    ReplyDelete